Saturday, January 24, 2009

見計らう

mihakarau
to choose at one's own discretion


first off, I chose to restart this blog in response to an assignment in a class I am now taking, called Ideation. one of the key aspects of the assignment was to make this project something that I could easily incorporate into my everyday schedule, and since I am translating everyday, and encounter new or interesting Japanese words everyday, I thought this might be a good place to start.
it's interesting, because I originally thought of doing a continuation of my floriography project as the assignment, but, in truth, I don't review my photographs everyday, nor can I see myself setting aside time to layout and typeset the associated text for each photo, even though I would want to eventually.
regardless, I chose today's word for a few reasons.
first off, the definition didn't seem to match what I originally thought the word might mean.
見 refers to vision, seeing, looking, and 計 to measuring, gauging.
in retrospect, the definition makes sense, but I thought it might mean something like, measure by eye...
another reason the word stood out was I thought it was neat that Japanese had a compact term for something we need to express in several words. I always love it when a language has a simple way of saying something.

No comments: